Tuesday, 18 September 2007

atonement

Late last week I was lucky enough to attend a champagne preview screening of Atonement, a film adaptation of Ian McEwan's brilliant book. It's always a hard sell, trying to do justice to a novel that has a multitude of fans. And so the big question is - does it live up to the book? I went in slightly sceptical and came out pleasantly impressed. The film was produced by Working Title, which has a fairly high standard of work (Four Weddings And A Funeral, Elizabeth) as does the director Joe Wright (Pride & Prejudice). While I felt empathy for the lead characters, played by Keira Knightley and James McAvoy, I didn't fall completely in love with them either. But the film was so beautifully shot that I would definitely recommend people see it... especially ones who have read the book.
Photo courtesy of
Universal.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails